Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tuesday's Task: Remember, Your Days are Numbered Too


Sunday I was privileged to listen to a sermon from Daniel chapter 5. In Daniel 5 king Belshazzar is enjoying a great feast, when a hand appears and writes on the wall. The king brought in many so-called wise men to interpret the writing, but they were not able to read what it said. Finally Daniel is called in and he tells the king that the writing means. God has sent a message to king Belshazzar, that his days are numbered-that very night the king died (v30).

I was reminded of James 4:14-our life is like a vapor that is here for only a short time before it vanishes. How many times have you read this verse and thought, “Well, this doesn’t apply to me; this just means that seventy or eighty years goes by fast.”  But the verse does apply to us! We aren’t promised tomorrow. Too often we are guilty of putting off the Lord’s work for this or that reason and use the excuse, “I’ll do it tomorrow.” “I’m really busy with school right now, but I’ll get more involved with church activities once I’m done with it.”  “Once I’m married I will be more comfortable talking to people about Jesus.” “After I’ve had kids I will help teach in the children’s Bible classes.” “I know I should visit that lady in the nursing home, but I just don’t like going there. Maybe I’ll go tomorrow.”

Don’t wait until you have a family of your own, make more money, or are older to do the Lord’s work. There is plenty for you to do right now. The Lord needs strong, young workers in His vineyard today. Death doesn’t discriminate. It doesn’t care how old you are. So give your all each day and when you lay your head on your pillow tonight (and every night), thank God for allowing you to live this day and go to sleep with the satisfaction of knowing you did everything you could today to further His cause.

-M

“I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.”
John 17:4

1 comment:

  1. Amen! So true. We always think we have more time. However, we have no idea how much time we have so we need to be busy now! Thanks M!

    ReplyDelete