Thursday, February 6, 2014

Legalism v. The New Birth


A Child of Legalism Says…

-      I have to go to church.

-      I have to do good deeds.

-      I have to be pure in heart.

-      I have to repent.

-      I have to be meek.

-      I have to be generous, kind, merciful.

-      I have to get baptized.

-      I have to produce love, joy, peace, etc.

-      I have to wash feet.

-      I have to do what Jesus would do.

-      I have to turn the other cheek.

-      I have to go the extra mile.

-      I have to love my neighbor/enemy.

-      I have to be “faithful unto death.”

-      I have to love God with all my heart, soul, and strength.

·        Having completed a good portion of the list, I feel confident that God will give me my place in heaven. By the grace of God and my good track record, I don’t have to go to hell.

 

A Child of the New Birth Says…

-      I want to worship God with fellow saints.

-      I want to help others in my Father’s name.

-      God help me to be pure in heart.

-      I want to change my life.

-      Lord, take control of my life.

-      I want to be generous, kind, merciful.

-      I want to be washed from my sins in His blood.

-      I want to produce evidence that God’s Spirit is in me.

-      I want to be of humble service in any area needed.

-      I want to do what Jesus would do.

-      Lord, give me strength to do whatever is necessary to promote your kingdom in this world.

-      I want to love my neighbor/enemy.

-      I want to be “faithful unto death.”

-      I want to love God with all my heart, soul, and strength.

·        God has been so gracious to me to show me love and I want to draw closer to Him and honor and worship Him. I just want to be to others what He has been to me so they can see how great my God is.

 

From Chestnut Drive Church of Christ bulletin

Michael R. Underwood

February 3, 2013

Doraville, Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment