Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday's Focus-Shelter from the Storm


This afternoon I was caught out in a summer storm with no umbrella, no raincoat, and no protection.  The winds were whipping, the thunder was booming and lightning was flashing across the sky. By the time I made it to my car, I was soaked to the bone. During my trek across the parking lot, I couldn’t see the way in front of me and all I could think of was that I had to get to the shelter of my car as quick as possible! After finally making it my vehicle, I sat and waited for the rain to let up.  While waiting, I was struck with the thought of how important it was to me to get to the car. How important it was to get out of the elements and get to safety. Isn’t that how it is with us in our Christian lives? When the troubles of this life are wearing on us and we can’t see our way out, how important is the shelter God provides? We need Him to protect us. We need Him to get us out of the storm.  We need Him to guide us as the thunderous voices of discouragement bombard us, as the lightning of mean-spirited people flash before us, and as the rain of sin falls down around us.
We get caught out of His protection though sometimes, don’t we? We get too caught up in the pleasures or trials of this life and before we know it, we are in the midst of a terrible spiritual storm of our own. The only thing to do in those instances is to run to the shelter God provides. He is safety and our refuge. In Isaiah, He says, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee…” (Is 41:10a) We don’t need to fear the spiritual storms. As long as we are in the shelter of our God, He will see us through them.

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment